The Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum on the campus of Brigham Young University was opened to the public in 1978. The museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums and maintains membership in the Natural Science Collection Alliance. The museum houses nearly three million specimens in nine separate research collections. The museum currently has 8 exhibits.
- Our Living Planet
- This exhibit explores the unique life-supporting physical characteristics of planet Earth.
- Fred & Sue Morris Bird Gallery
- This remarkable collection features over 100 different birds from around the world.
- Protect Your Planet
- This exhibit includes the museum's full mount bull elephant with information about species conservation-related issues.
- Life On Top: Apex Predators
- This exhibit features interactive scenes highlighting issues related to top-predators.
- Life Submerged: Marine & Freshwater
- This exhibit highlights features of both freshwater and marine ecosystems.
- Into Africa
- This exhibit highlights key interactions in several of Africa's ecosystems.
- Our Sacred Stewardship
- This exhibit teaches the inspired doctrines related to our divine stewardship responsibilities.
- Boyd K Packer Gallery
- The Packer Gallery highlights President Packer's life and remarkable talent as a wildlife artist.
Along with the exhibits, the museum offers live animal shows in the evening during the week and two afternoon shows on Saturday involving at least 3 live animals.
Scout groups who visit have the opportunity to earn a patch offered by the museum. The Museum patch was designed to motivate scouts to gain a greater appreciation and knowledge of the life sciences. You can print the requirements here, or pick up a copy at the front desk as you enter the museum.
Admission is free! But donations are always greatly appreciated.
Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum
Brigham Young University
645 East 1430 North, Provo, UT 84602
Information: (801) 422-5050
Office: (801) 422-5052
Scheduling: (801) 422-6698
Monday - Friday 10:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am - 5:00pm